Imagine a school that knows exactly what your child needs to learn when he or she needs to learn it.
West Side Summit believes in the power of individualizing learning. The School utilizes a blended instructional model.
But a great education doesn’t end there…
Our mission-driven teachers see their classes as a group of unique and brilliant Scholars, ready to take control of their own learning and race forward toward college and the future. We empower Scholars to take leadership over their own learning and prepare for college and beyond by ensuring that they have what they need and that we challenge them and support them to achieve their greatest potential.
• Individualizing learning
West Side Summit believes in the power of individualizing learning. The School utilizes a blended instructional model. Students have 100 minutes of intervention time that is orchestrated in a way that the child is getting exactly what he or she needs for that entire time. The student may be doing any of the following during that targeted time: using online adaptive curricula to practice math or reading content and skills at their exact level, working one-on-one or in a small group to fill in any instructional gaps with the academic interventionist or the ELL teacher, receiving targeted reading instruction at their level in a small guided reading group, practicing reading material at their independent reading level, or participated in activities that build their math fluency.
Additionally, with a computer for each child every day in the school, extra time is regularly used to have each scholar log onto an adaptive reading and math program. These school wide online math curriculum are specifically chosen to teach and reteach and assess each scholar where they are at. Accelerated learners can and are working on math or reading as high as 11th grade; behind grade level scholars are being retaught and reassessed online right at the grade level, standard and objective they need to know before they move on. Scholars are highly engaged in these computer programs and teachers are gaining valuable data from the computer programs.
• Academic efficacy
WSS is pioneering an approach designed to foster the habits, mindsets and skills we believe students must have to find success in college and beyond. Academic empowerment and ownership are necessary complements to scholastic preparation and these assets are critical in achieving our mission of preparing all of our students for success in college and beyond. Students demonstrating academic efficacy:
– Challenge themselves with difficult tasks and find joy in learning.
– Heighten and sustain their efforts when faced with challenges.
– Attribute failure to insufficient effort or knowledge and skills to be learned
• Strong school essentials
Our school is based on five strong school essentials that are rarely seen in schools in the Twin Cities but that are embraced the best schools across the country.
1. College-ready mindset: Our Scholars talk constantly about attending college and work to build the knowledge and skills necessary for success in college and beyond starting Day 1. All of our classrooms are named after the alma mater of each Teacher, helping to create an atmosphere of college preparedness and scholarship.
2. More time on task: Our schedule has been built in a way that maximizes the time and efforts of our Scholars and allows for every Scholar to receive 100 minutes of intervention time that is orchestrated in a way that the child is getting exactly what he or she needs for that entire time.
3. High expectations: For both academics and behavior, teachers, staff, and Scholars hold each other to high expectations.
4. Data-driven instruction: Through the creation, assessment, and analysis of interim assessments and other tools, teachers are constantly aware of what their Scholars actually know and need to learn, so progress is constantly being made.
5. Strong, positive school culture. Successful schools have consistent and effective school cultures that build high expectations for all students with staff and focus students on high levels of academic performance. Our core values serve as a guiding light as we work toward that realization. Read more about Our Values here.