Our mission is to empower students to find joy in learning and develop the academic efficacy necessary to prepare them for the rigors of a college education and beyond.
The school’s vision is to be a proof-point for Minnesota that all children, regardless of zip code or socioeconomic status, deserve a high quality education, and that all students can achieve a high level of academic success when we hold high expectations for them and honor their potential for greatness.
West Side Summit Builds Community
West Side Summit is a free, public charter school serving Kindergarten through 5th grade classes for the 2015-16 school year. For the 2016-2017 school year, we will serve students K-6. We will serve K-8 during the 2017-2018 school year.
We provide bus transportation to any child living in St. Paul, West St. Paul and South St. Paul. Many of our families live in the West Side and West 7th areas of St. Paul and in West St. Paul, but we welcome all children in our current grade levels.
West Side Summit Extends Time for Students to Learn
Our students attend school from the last week in August through the end of June. School hours are 8:30-4:30 for all students, including Kindergarten. Students may be dropped off for “free” child care as early as 7:30 am.
Research shows how much a longer day and year can help a child grow and succeed in school.
West Side Summit Cares for the Whole Child
West Side Summit provides free breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon snack to all Scholars. Done Right Food is our school meal provider. They provide nutritious and delicious meals made from scratch! Our lunches are served with fresh fruits and vegetables every day, and we meet the dietary needs of all our Scholars. Free and reduced lunch applications are available in the front office.
Our uniform consists of a solid-color West Side Summit shirt (short-sleeve or long-sleeve T-shirt, or sweatshirt) and khaki or black dress pants. We provide multiple opportunities for families to order t-shirts through our front office and work to ensure our shirts and cardigans are affordable for any family.
West Side Summit has enough computers for each child in the school each day.
West Side Summit uses Responsive Classroom (c) techniques school-wide to help students grow and mature in their social and emotional learning.
West Side Summit Develops Each Unique Child to Reach for Readiness
Each child is unique and special. West Side Summit develops each child to grow and reach in their readiness….
- to read and write,
- understand mathematics and science,
- engage in the physical education, arts, music and world language,
- to practice the rigorous habits and study skills to seek a college education
- to access and use modern education technologies and computers
- to treat one another with respect and care
Why is an innovative school like West Side Summit needed in St. Paul?
West Side children are being left behind…
– One-third of low-income students attending West Side elementary schools are proficient in math. Barely half are proficient in reading.
– 28% of West Side middle and high school students are proficient in reading and 14% are proficient in math.
– 16% percent of West Side residents 25 years and older have a bachelor’s degree compared to 23% of all St. Paul residents.
– 49% of West Side residents 25 or older have only a high school degree or less, compared to 36% of all St. Paul residents.
(Data as of 2012)